Bill Cosby faces more allegations of sex assault, more fallout as recent interview released

This photo taken Nov. 6, 2014 shows entertainer Bill Cosby gesturing during an interview (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

The Associated Press has released awkward interview footage taken earlier this month showing Bill Cosby responding to sex assault allegations and then demanding a reporter not to broadcast it.

Bill Cosby was asked about the growing furor by an Associated Press reporter when the comedian was promoting an exhibition at the Smithsonian's National Museum of African Art that features the comedian's African-American art collection alongside African artworks.

Tap/click here to watch Bill Cosby's response to sex assault allegations

When the AP interviewed Cosby, on Nov. 6, the story involved long-circulated accusations from several women and recent criticism from comedian Hannibal Buress. Cosby declined to comment, saying "We don't answer that."

The AP mentioned the allegations and Cosby's decision not to comment at the end of its story, which, like the interview, was primarily about his loan of more than 50 artworks to the Washington museum.

Since then, two women have come forward publicly to accuse him of sexual assault, Netflix, TV Land and NBC cut ties and an appearance on "The Late Show With David Letterman" was canceled. In recent days, as the allegations gained increasing attention, AP went back through the full video of the Nov. 6 interview and decided to publish Cosby's full reaction to questions about the claims.

The AP was among a handful of news organizations granted interviews with Cosby in connection with the art exhibition. After his initial refusal to comment - as the interview was winding down but with the camera still running and Cosby wearing a lapel microphone - the comedian asked the AP to not use the brief on-camera refusal to comment he had just made about the allegations. "And I would appreciate it if it was scuttled," he said.

The interview was on the record. The AP had made no agreement to avoid questions about the allegations or to withhold publishing any of his comments at any time.


The Smithsonian's National Museum of African Art has not changed its plans for the show, which opened this month on the National Mall and is scheduled to remain on view through early 2016.

"The exhibition has been very well received. We've actually had record numbers through the door," spokesman Eddie Burke said, adding the museum has had no complaints.
Related Topics:
entertainmentbill cosbysex assaulttelevision