Flash fire inside Shell gas station tank system critically burns man

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A man is hospitalized with serious burns caused by a flash fire at a gas station on Chicago's South Side.

The man was working on a gas station tank system in a manhole when the fuel ignited at the Shell on 95th and Stony Island Friday morning, according to a tweet by Chicago Fire.



The victim, a man in his 50s, suffered third-degree burns to his face and arms, fire officials said.

The man is being treated at the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was last listed in serious condition.
Copyright © 2019 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.