CHICAGO (WLS) -- It's summer, and that means Chicagoland shoppers have plenty of farm fresh options to choose from thanks to the many available farmers markets.
But with so many options, how do you find the best of the best?
Chef Paul Lindemuth visited the ABC 7 studios to show a few tips.
Marcel's Culinary Experience is also hosting a class and field trip to "shop the crop" and find the best from local farmers markets. The class is scheduled for Sunday, Aug. 9, from 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at Marcel's Culinary Experience located on 490 N. Main Street in Glen Ellyn.
Farmers Market "Shop the Crop" Field Trip & Cooking Class
Sunday, Aug. 9, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Marcel's Culinary Experience, 490 N. Main St., Glen Ellyn
Admission/ Ticket Prices: $50
Deadline to register: Aug. 9
Is this open to the public? Yes
Will people still be able to register/ buy tickets/ attend the morning of our segment? Yes, however seats are limited.
Peach and goat cheese crostini with arugula
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium peaches, pitted and sliced 1/4-inch thick
6 baguette slices, cut on the diagonal about 1/4-inch thick
Olive oil for brushing
1 1/2 cups arugula
3/4 cup goat cheese
Flaky sea salt for sprinkling
1. Place the vinegar into a medium bowl. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Slowly whisk in oil. Set half the vinaigrette aside and pour the remaining vinaigrette into a medium bowl.
3. Add the sliced peaches to the bowl with the vinaigrette and gently toss to combine.
4. Preheat a ribbed stovetop grill pan over medium heat.
5. Brush both sides of each baguette slice with olive oil. Season both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grill until lightly charred, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side.
6. In a medium bowl combine the remaining vinaigrette and the arugula. Toss to combine.
7. Spread the goat cheese onto the grilled baguette slices. Top each crostini with the arugula. Arrange the peaches on top and sprinkle each crostini with a little flakey sea salt. Serve right away.
Mexican street corn salad
8 ears fresh corn, husks and silk removed
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Freshly squeezed juice of 2 limes
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 1/2 cups grated Cotija cheese (can substitute grated parmesan)
Freshly ground black pepper
Lime wedges for garnish
Fresh cilantro for garnish
1. Prepare a medium hot charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
2. Place the corn directly on the grill grates and grill, turning occasionally, until well charred all over. Remove the corn from the grill and allow it to cool.
3. Using a sharp knife cut the corn kernels off of the cobs into a large bowl.
4. Add the mayonnaise, lime juice, chopped cilantro and the Cotija cheese. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
5. Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with the lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
Finding the best produce at farmers markets