CHICAGO -- State & Lake executive chef Kevin Atkinson's recipe for a smoked apple mac & cheese.
State & Lake
201 N State Street, Chicago, IL 60601
1 pound pasta, elbows, cooked approximately 8 minutes
2.5 ounces butter, unsalted
1 shallot, sliced thin
6 Tbsp. flour
4 cups whole milk, room temperature
6 oz American cheese
6 oz sharp cheddar cheese
1 link (4oz) Sheboygan sausage or bratwurst, cooked and sliced
1 Tbsp. mustard powder
1 Tbsp.onion powder
1 Tbsp.garlic powder
1 tsp. salt, Kosher
1 tsp.Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp.hot sauce
4 oz. beer
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, smoked
1. Melt butter with sliced shallot over medium heat, cook until shallot becomes clear
2. Whisk in flour a tablespoon at a time until smooth. Cook on medium heat for 2 mins.
3. Remove from heat, whisk in room temp milk, return to heat to bring to a soft boil for 2 mins.
4. Turn heat down to a simmer, add cheeses in little by little, stirring constantly.
5. Add cooked sausage, sliced in coins.
6. Add mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, Worcestershire, hot sauce, beer and diced smoked apple.
7. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked pasta, top with bread crumbs and bake at 350-degrees for 20 to 30 mins.
Smoked Apple Mac & Cheese: State & Lake