CHICAGO (WLS) -- An individual infected with measles attended the Northern Illinois University graduation ceremony last week and visited other locations in Chicago and DeKalb, sparking a warning to those who may have been exposed to the highly contagious virus.
The Illinois Department of Public Health issued a warning Friday after the person, an adult visiting from abroad, became ill last week and tested positive for measles.
The person spent two days at a downtown Chicago hotel and joined thousands at the NIU graduation ceremony on May 13.
Potential exposures in Illinois may have occurred to:
- Guests and employees at the Chicago Essex Inn, 800 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago on May 15-16.
- Guests and staff at the Holmes Student Center Guest Room Hotel on the Northern Illinois University Campus, 340 Carroll Ave, DeKalb on May 13-15.
- Attendees of the NIU College of Business reception that started at 10 a.m. May 13 at the Barsema Hall Atrium, and a graduation ceremony at the NIU Convocation Center, 1525 W. Lincoln Hwy., DeKalb, which began at 1:30 p.m.
- Customers and employees at Walmart, 2300 Sycamore Rd., DeKalb, from 11:30 p.m. May 13 to 2 a.m. May 14.
- Customers and employees at Panda Express, 1015 W. Lincoln Highway, DeKalb, from noon to 3 p.m. on May 14.
Measles is transmitted through contact with an infected person via coughing or sneezing. The virus can remain in the air and on surfaces for up to two hours.
Symptoms of measles include fever, sore or red eyes, runny nose, cough and a characteristic rash.
Individual who may have been exposed and exhibiting symptoms should call their health care provider. Anyone who thinks they may have measles should not go directly to a doctor's office or emergency room as they could infect others.
Health officials said people who have received two doses of the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine are at a low risk of becoming infected.
For more information about measles, click here for information from the health department.
Illinois health officials warn of potential measles exposures in Chicago, DeKalb
More TOP STORIES News