CHICAGO (WLS) -- Marist High School officials said they are canceling classes for Friday, Nov. 11, due to safety concerns related to a rumored protest in Mt. Greenwood. The protest organizers tweeted the protest is canceled.
The school released a statement on their website saying in part, "After communicating with local officials and assessing the situation internally, we feel it is in the best interest of our school community to not be in session tomorrow."
School officials also said they learned five-block stretch of 115th Street in front of the school will be blocked off starting at noon Friday, making entering and exiting impossible.
Several hours earlier, the Black Lives Matter twitter account retweeted to say the protest had been canceled "due to threats n safety concerns."
School officials said their principal will meet with leaders of Black Lives Matter Youth, Payton's Black Student Union, Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson and the Aldermen of Mount Greenwood Friday at 1:30 p.m.
Black Lives Matter Youth has held protests in Mt. Greenwood after the fatal police-involved shooting of Joshua Beal. Marist High School became involved when a student wrote a racially-charged post on social media reacting to the shooting. Marist posted a statement on their website saying:
"This evening Marist High School was made aware of a racially charged post on social media involving Marist students. We are devastated by this situation. Disciplinary action is being taken. Marist is a diverse community, made better and stronger by that diversity. As a school community, we continually work so that each student feels welcome, valued, and safe. We have been and will continue to engage with diverse student leaders to give a voice to all students and to focus on shared values. Given the tenuous times we all are living in, and recent events nearby Marist High School, our mission to make Jesus known and loved is more pertinent than ever. As always, the safety of our students is of utmost importance."