CHICAGO (WLS) -- Chicago is no. 1 on Orkin's list of top 50 bed bug cities for the fourth year in the row, a list which ranks cities by the number of bed bug treatments the company serviced in 2015.
The list features 14 Midwestern cities, more than any other region. An additional six cities made double-digit jumps on the list compared to 2014, including Washington DC which now ranks third on the list.
Orkin says it treats for bed bugs in all 50 states, and their presence is not necessarily a sign of uncleanliness. In fact, the company says, bed bugs can travel in luggage or other personal belongings - not just beds - to make their way into your home. They recommend checking your home regularly for bed bugs, as well as checking any accommodations when you travel.
The top 50 bed bug cities are:
2. Los Angeles
3. Washington, D.C.
4. New York
5. Columbus, Ohio
9. Richmond-Petersburg, Va.
11. Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
12. Cleveland-Akron-Canton, Ohio
13. Dallas-Ft. Worth
14. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
16. Charlotte, N.C.
20. Buffalo, N.Y.
21. Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C.-Asheville, N.C.
22. Nashville, Tenn.
24. Knoxville, Tenn.
27. Dayton, Ohio
30. Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, Va.
31. Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla.
32. Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Crk., Mich.
33. Lexington, Ky.
34. Hartford-New Haven, Conn.
35. Charleston-Huntington, W.Va.
36. Omaha, Neb.
37. San Diego
38. Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Fla.
39. Louisville, Ky.
40. St. Louis
41. Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Dubuque, Iowa
42. Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, Ill.
43. Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
44. Kansas City, Mo.
45. Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, Calif.
46. Syracuse, N.Y.
47. Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colo.
48. Albany-Schenectady-Troy, N.Y.
50. Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C.
More TOP STORIES News