Candidate Full Name: Edward Hershey
Office: 25th Ward Alderman
Survey Questions (Character limit of 2,000 per response)
1. What is the most important issue that you will address in your ward?
Lack of jobs. We need a working class fight to demand more jobs, and that those and existing jobs have higher pay.
2. What are your plans for helping fight crime in your ward?
Opportunities for young people will help. We need jobs and programming that meet the needs of young people, to give them some hope and a future.
3. What, if any, city assets would you consider privatizing to raise money?
None. Privatization has benefited moneyed interests at the expense of working people.
4. Do you support or oppose the vote to increase the minimum wage in several steps to $13 an hour by 2019?
I support it, but I also think it does not go far enough. $13/hour is not a living wage now, it will be less in 2019. But this is all the Democrats offer us. It will take a working class fight to raise wages for all working people.
5. Are you in favor of Chicago's Red Light Camera program?
No. The Red Light program as implemented has been a handout to RedFlex, the contractor, and it has been used primarily to generate revenue for the city. The Tribune has exposed the fact that the program, as implemented has not served public safety.