Candidate Full Name: Roberto Maldonado
Office: 26th Ward Alderman
Web Site: www.robertomaldonado.com
Campaign Name: Citizens for Maldonado
Campaign Office Mailing Address: 2548 W. Division, Chicago, IL 60622
Survey Questions (Character limit of 2,000 per response)
1. What is the most important issue that you will address in your ward?
Public Safety is a top priority in my ward.
2. What are your plans for helping fight crime in your ward?
When I took office in 2009, our weekly Ward Night was riddled with complaints of rampant gang activity, drug dealing on streets and corners, problem properties, and the ineffectiveness of CAPS meetings.
I established monthly meetings where residents could address these concerns directly to Police Commanders. Within 24 months public safety complaints decreased by 90 percent in East Humboldt Park and 70 percent west of the park, as reported by local residents.
3. What, if any, city assets would you consider privatizing to raise money?
In general, I do not support privatizing city services. I would have to evaluate each proposal on a case-by-case basis. I favor creating new revenue streams and enforcing collections on debts owed to the City.
4. Do you support or oppose the vote to increase the minimum wage in several steps to $13 an hour by 2019?
I co-sponsored the City's minimum wage increase ordinance and believe it should have exceeded $13 dollars an hour. Parents should not be forced to take multiple part-time jobs in order to provide for their families. It often jeopardizes the safety of children. A livable minimum wage is a basic human right.
5. Are you in favor of Chicago's Red Light Camera program?
I support the Red Light Camera program as a means of protecting drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians.