Wheelchair battery may have caused fatal Ashburn house fire, officials say

Chicago firefighters handed out smoke detectors in the city's Ashburn neighborhood Wednesday, a day after a 93-year-old man died after a fire in his home.

Investigators now say a battery may be to blame for a deadly fire earlier this week in Chicago's Southwest Side.

Walter Haton, 93, died in the fire Tuesday afternoon. Investigators now believe the fire started with the charging of a lithium battery used to power an electric wheelchair.

Chicago fire is now working with engineers for the insurance company.

Related Topics:
house firefire deathChicago - Ashburn
(Copyright ©2018 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.)