Harvey hostages threatened, sexually assaulted by suspects David Jordan and Peter Williams, prosecutors say

MARKHAM, Ill. (WLS) -- The two men who held six children and two women hostage during a 21-hour standoff with police at a Harvey home threatened all of them with guns and sexually assaulted one of the victims, prosecutors said.

David Jordan, 40, of Dixmoor, and Peter Williams, 42, of Chicago, are being held on a $2 million and $2.5 million bond, respectively.

Jordan and Williams face several charges, including attempted murder of a police officer, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated criminal sexual assault and home invasion.

"I believe we had two individuals that attempted to commit a crime that went horribly wrong for them," Harvey Police Chief Denard Eaves said.

Jordan and Williams, who were armed, forced their way into the home in the 14700-block of Seely Avenue after ringing the doorbell and offering to mow the lawn for $15, Assistant State's Attorney Patrick McGuire said on Friday. Once inside, Williams took the male homeowner upstairs to get cash and valuables while Jordan held the others downstairs. They wanted $50,000, McGuire said, but got only $7,000.

"Defendant Williams put a knife to the eye and side of the homeowner and threatened him if he did not produce the rest of the money," McGuire said.

The standoff began around 1 p.m. Tuesday when Harvey police responding to a burglary in progress exchanged gunfire with the suspects, who barricaded themselves inside the home with the six children and two women. Harvey Police Officer Darnell Keel was shot in the arm, and is recovering from surgery.

Three other victims, including the homeowner, escaped through the rear of the house. They were able to help police with the outline of the home and told police how many guns the suspects had, prosecutors said.

"The defendants ordered at gunpoint the two remaining adult female victims and six children to the second floor of the house. The defendant forced them into a bedroom, had them cover windows with sheets and held them hostage for the next 21 hours. During this time, they were threatened with death and having their heads blown off while the handguns placed strategically to their heads or pointed in their direction," McGuire said.

McGuire said one of the victims was repeatedly sexually assaulted.

The suspects had the adult victims call 9-1-1 to talk to negotiators, McGuire said. They also spoke about using the women and children as shields to escape, he said.

During the standoff, four boys were released by the offenders, but the situation did not end until Wednesday morning when SWAT teams stormed the home. Shots were fired, but no one was injured.

Heavily-armed officers escorted the girls and two females out of the home. About 15 minutes later, the suspects were taken into custody.

Both suspects on parole

Both suspects have an extensive criminal history. Jordan, convicted in the 1990 murder of a Chicago cab driver, was on parole after serving 27.5 years in state prison. He was on electronic home monitoring, but had permission to be out looking for a job until 3 p.m., officials said.

"When he wasn't home at 3:01 p.m., we received an electronic alarm. And we began looking for his whereabouts to try and determine where he was," Tom Shaer, director of communication, IL Department of Corrections, said.

Jordan lives on the same block as the Dixmoor mayor.

"When I found out he lived across the street, it was very disturbing to me," Quinile Hannon said.

Williams was also on parole, but electronic monitoring was not part of his release. His criminal record includes convictions on weapons offenses, hijacking and concealing a homicide.

Related topics:
Copyright © 2021 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.