ROMEOVILLE, Ill. (WLS) -- Firefighters battled a fire that started from a gas leak explosion at a townhome complex in southwest suburban Romeoville.
The Romeoville Fire Department responded to the explosion at 7:30 p.m on Tuesday. Firefighters said NICOR employees were in the process of repairing a gas leak at the intersection of Strawford Court and Wespark Boulevard when the explosion occurred.
Officials said two gas company workers were injured. One of those workers is in critical condition. No one was in the building when the explosion occurred.
Witnesses heard a loud explosion before seeing the building go up in flames on that street corner in the Wespark subdivision.
"It was like a movie, an explosion," said one witness. "I'm just so thankful that my husband and my son are alive because I live right there on the corner of the house."
Two out of five of the townhome units on Strawford Court were destroyed after the fire. Several units surrounding the explosion were evacuated as a precautionary measure.
Emergency personnel secured the scene around midnight and said they would remain at the site throughout the night, setting up a command center at the scene and addressing questions any residents may have.
The Village of Romeoville will be setting up a donation fund for the families on their website.
Explosion injures 2, fire destroys townhome complex in Romeoville
More TOP STORIES News