CHICAGO (WLS) -- Some of Chicago's brightest culinary students need your help. Now in its 10th year, Cooking Up Change is a healthy cooking competition by the Healthy Schools Campaign. Culinary students create menu items with a budgetary constraint of about $1 per meal.
To help support the students, Chicago Public Schools will host a fundraising gala on November 17 at Skyline Loft at the Bridgeport Art Center. Students from 13 CPS high schools are expected to participate. The winning dishes will be served to CPS students in spring 2017. The winning team will also receive and all-expense paid trip to compete at the National Cooking Up Change Competition in Washington, D.C in June 2017.
Mentor Chef Joel Nickson and Clemente Community Academy students Montserrat Aviles and Alyssa Borrero joined ABC 7 to show what they're cooking for the event.
10th Anniversary - Cooking up Change Fundraising Gala
Nov. 17, 2016
Skyloft at the Bridgeport Art Center
1200 W. 35th St., Chicago, IL 60609
Admission/ Ticket Prices: $100 (To Support CPS Culinary Students)
Deadline to register: Until Sold Out
South American Roasted Chicken and Rice
1/4 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Distilled Vinegar
1/4 tsp Chopped Raw Garlic
1 Chicken Drumstick
1 cup Brown Rice
2 tsp Taco Seasoning
1. Mix chili powder, oregano, cinnamon,vinegar,chopped garlic and chicken drum stick together in a bowl.
2. Arrange chicken drumsticks on a cooking spray coated baking sheet and baking at 350 for 20 minutes.
3. Pour 2 cup of water,1 cup of rice, 1 tsp taco seasoning, 1 tsp cayenne pepper and 1 tsp turmeric in a pot.
4. Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
1/4 cup Yellow Onions
1/2 cup Pinto Beans
1/2 tbs Sliced Jalapenos Peppers
1. Dice yellow onions and place them in a cooking spray coated pan to cook until golden brown.
2. Once the yellow onions are golden brown pour in the can pinto beans in the same pan as the yellow onions and wait until the pinto beans heat up
3. Once the pinto beans are heated up smash them up with a potato masher and pour in the drained sliced jalapeños.
4. Mix all the ingredients together, let them sit until the beans thicken up.
Zesty Pineapple Toss up
1/4 cup Pineapple Chunks with Juice
1/4 cup Craisins
1 tbsp Vanilla Yogurt
1/8 Cup Shredded Carrots
1. In a bowl, pour 1/4 cups of pineapple, drained of juice.
2. Mix in 1/4cup of craisins and 1 tbsp yogurt.
More TOP STORIES News