Police release photo of dollar store fatal shooting suspects

EMBED </>More Videos

JQuinn McCune, 30, was fatally shot on Tuesday at a Family Dollar store on the South Side where he worked.

Chicago police have released surveillance photos from the dollar store where a clerk was shot to death on Tuesday.

Investigators now say there are two suspects, not one.

The manager of a Family Dollar near 79th and Ashland was shot when he tried to stop the men from shoplifting.

Police revealed the men are also wanted for armed robbery at another store six blocks away last month.

At about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, JQuinn McCune, 30, was working at a store in the 7900-block of South Ashland Avenue when he tried to stop someone from shoplifting. The offender then shot him in the chest at close range and fled, police said.

McCune died of his injuries. He was originally from Flint, Mich., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. His family from Michigan declined comment as they left the medical examiner's office.

"He was just good-spirited. He was just happy. I never saw him sad," said Latasha Washington, who stopped by the store with a card.

In a statement, a Family Dollar spokesperson said: "We are currently working with authorities in Chicago to fully understand the situation, and we are assisting them in every way we can as they conduct their investigation. As this is an active investigation, I am unable to comment further."

"I walked into the store, and all I saw were the bag of chips in the guy's hand," said Angelica Chancellor. "And he said, 'I am not going to jail over this,' and he turned and shot the guy."

Chancellor then ran from the store.
"I heard three shots. They sounded like firecrackers. And then the manager ran right past me. He grabbed my arm. He fell down, and he said, 'I've been shot,'" says a customer who was inside the store at the time. She asked not to be identified.

She and another woman tried to save his life.

"I raised his shirt up and I saw where the hole was in his chest. And I told her to put pressure right there. That's where we both started putting pressure, and I took my hands off and told her to leave her pressure on," she says.

McCune was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

"Literally I just walked out and just spoke with him, and five seconds later I see police pull up and everything," said customer Jade Peters.
"He shouldn't have to risk his life trying to save that merchandise. I understand that was his job but his life wasn't worth that," said Arbella Roberson, a witness.

"You can only run so far. There's cameras all over 79th Street right here. Your picture soon is going to be out in public," says community activists and crisis responder Andrew Holmes.
Related Topics:
shopliftingmurderChicago - Auburn Gresham
(Copyright ©2018 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.)