CHICAGO (WLS) -- A request for sanctions against a woman accused of threatening the Chicago police officer who killed her son was dropped, city officials said.
Chicago Police Officer George Hernandez filed the motion asking Dorothy Holmes to tone down her rhetoric on social media Tuesday. Earlier this month, prosecutors decided not to charge Hernandez in the shooting death of Holmes' son, 25-year-old Ronald Johnson.
After the decision was announced, Holmes posted a video to YouTube and other social media with a photo of Hernandez.
The city said it was not aware of Hernandez' request for sanctions and intervened to have it dismissed Wednesday. The City of Chicago Law Department released a statement: An outside, independent attorney hired to represent Officer George Hernandez filed this motion without the awareness or consent of the City after certain statements and actions caused Officer Hernandez to be concerned about his and his family's safety. After learning of the motion last night, Corporation Counsel Steve Patton immediately intervened to help both sides reach an amicable resolution. As a result, the motion has been withdrawn and the matter has been resolved to both parties' satisfaction.
Although the sanctions against Holmes have been dropped, her civil suit against the city regarding the fatal shooting continues.
Request for sanctions against Ronald Johnson's mother dropped amid controversial comments