Amber Alert canceled after Gary toddler taken at gunpoint found safe

GARY, Ind. (WLS) -- A 15-month-old boy who was taken at gunpoint Monday night from his foster home in Gary, Indiana, has been found safe.

Around 9 p.m. Tuesday, Gary police announced that Timothy Jackson Jr. had been found safe following the intensive, 22-hour search for the toddler.

Earlier Tuesday, police said they believed the toddler was with his biological parents, 17-year-old Timothy Jackson Sr. and 15-year-old Rosalinda Tecaxco. Both had been listed as runaways.

Jackson Jr. and his biological parents were found in a bedroom of an unoccupied residence in the 200-block of Dallas Street after a SWAT team gained entry, Gary police said.

The search for the boy began after police say he was kidnapped at gunpoint late Monday night from his foster home in Gary. Police said the abductors were two masked men armed with sawed-off shotguns.

"This is a real good neighborhood, and this entire street you hardly hear of anything happening. So it's surprising to me. Really it's shocking," said Charles Johnson, a neighbor.

Copyright © 2019 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.