CHICAGO (WLS) -- Several Chicago students were taken to the hospital Friday morning after taking what police call a "homemade narcotic."
The Chicago Fire Department was called to the South Shore Fine Arts Academy in the 1400 block of East 70th Street around 10:20 a.m. for seven students who had fallen ill. Police and school officials said the group of students took a substance containing cough syrup, Sprite and Jolly Ranchers.
Two of the students were released to their parents. Five were transported to Comer Children's Hospital with non-life threatening issues.
One of the students spoke to ABC 7 with the permission of his mother.
"First I wasn't going to try it because I never had it before but then everybody else was tasting it and saying it was good so I tried it," the student said.
CPS said in a statement:
"School staff responded promptly this morning after several students were observed ingesting an unknown substance. School officials contacted 911, and emergency services providers responded to evaluate the situation."
Chicago police are investigating the matter.
CPS students sickened by 'homemade narcotic,' police say
More TOP STORIES News