CHICAGO (WLS) -- The rape case against Patrick Kane has been dismissed, the Erie County district attorney said Thursday.
On Aug. 6, a 21-year-old woman brought rape allegations against the 26-year-old Chicago Blackhawks star. She said Kane sexually assaulted her in his bed at his home in Hamburg, N.Y., after a night out at the bars.
The investigation, conducted by Hamburg police and the Erie County District Attorney's Office, showed there were inconsistencies between the woman's version of events and that of other witnesses, District Attorney Frank Sedita said in a statement Thursday. Sedita said the DNA results "lend no corroboration whatsoever to the complainant's claim of penetration" and the physical evidence and forensic evidence contradicted her claim that the assault occurred in his bed.
"The totality of credible evidence - the proof - does not sufficiently substantiate the complainant's allegation that she was raped by Patrick Kane and this so-called 'case' is rife with reasonable doubt," the statement said.
The woman decided not to move forward with criminal prosecution, Sedita said. The Buffalo News reported earlier this week that the stress of the investigation had taken its toll on her and her family.
Sedita said she recently signed a non-prosecution affidavit, which said in part:
"After fully discussing all the circumstances with my attorney, I have decided I do not wish to criminally prosecute the charges which stem out of this investigation. I do so of my own free will and without any promises or compensation."
Sedita said Kane "...has made no known incriminating statements to any civilian, nor has he engaged in any conduct consistent with a consciousness of guilt."
"I have repeatedly said that I did nothing wrong. I have respected the legal process and I am glad that this matter has now been closed and I will have nothing further to say going forward," Kane said in a statement Thursday.
Sedita said more details about the case will be shared only confidentially with lawyers for Kane and the complainant as well as Hamburg police.
"We respect the announcement today by the Erie County (N.Y.) District Attorney regarding Patrick Kane. The Chicago Blackhawks organization has taken this matter very seriously, and has tried to navigate a very sensitive situation while continually respecting the legal proceedings. At this time we will have no further comment," the Blackhawks said in a statement Thursday.
Those who believe, however, that Kane benefitted from his status and was likely to avoid prosecution said they saw this result coming.
"There is a rape culture that men of privilege benefit from and this is more of the same," said Kathleen Doherty, Chicago Metropolitan Battered Women's Network.
There was also some criticism that Kane got to start the season with the team despite the accusation. The NHL could still suspend him if it decides that his conduct was a detriment to the league.
"I hope now that people can realize that an accusation is not the same as proof that something actually occurred," said Paul Cambria, Kane's attorney.
Patrick Kane rape case dismissed, district attorney says