CHICAGO (WLS) --Former Ill. Gov. Rod Blagojevich will now be re-sentenced June 30 after federal prosecutors in Chicago requested a new sentencing date in the pared-down corruption case against him.
An appellate court in Chicago previously threw out several of the counts on which Blagojevich was originally convicted and ordered Judge James Zagel to resentence the shamed state official. Zagel could shave off a year or two from his original 14-year sentence.
The move comes two days after the U.S. Supreme Court refused to take Blagojevich's case.
The government Wednesday also asked that a new pre-sentence report be prepared reflecting how long Blagojevich should spend in prison under the law, based on what remains of his conviction.
The ex-governor remains at a federal prison in Colorado. After his hopes diminished on Monday when the Supreme Court turned down his appeal, Blagojevich's Chicago-based attorneys said they looked forward to imposition of a new and shorter sentence. They also said there was a possibility of another request fort the Supreme Court to hear his appeal once a new sentence is handed down.