CHICAGO (WLS) --ABC 7 partnered with the American Red Cross on Monday to host the Great Chicago Blood Drive to help ensure patients have the blood products they need during the winter months.
The final tally of donors who rolled up their sleeves was 684, which surpassed last year's 621 total.
The drive was held at two locations -- the Hyatt Regency-Grand Ballroom in downtown Chicago and the Drake Oak Brook Hotel in Oak Brook.
The Great Chicago Blood Drive comes at a crucial time since blood donations tend to decline in the winter months.
- Inclement weather and seasonal illnesses can keep eligible donors from giving, creating a greater need for donations during the winter.
- Help ensure patients have the blood products they need this winter by rolling up a sleeve and donating blood at the ABC 7 Great Chicago Blood Drive.
- Donors of all blood types are needed, especially types O negative, B negative and A negative blood.
- Appointments can be made by using the Red Cross Blood Donor App, by calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or by visiting redcrossblood.org.
- Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in most states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood.