2 blinded after swimming with contact lenses

WLS logo
Thursday, August 1, 2019
EMBED <>More Videos

Doctors warn against swimming, showering with contact lenses: as seen on Action News Mornings, July 31, 2019

Doctors are reminding those who wear contacts to remove their lenses before showering or swimming.

This after a recent incident in the United Kingdom where a man and a woman each became blind in one eye due to an infection called acanthamoeba keratitis.

The parasite lives in water but doesn't normally cause problems, unless it gets trapped under contact lenses.

The woman had a partial cornea transplant but still lost vision in her eye.