SKY VALLEY, Calif. -- A stray dog in the Sky Valley, Calif., area found himself in a sticky situation on Thursday. Concerned residents tipped off the Riverside County Department of Animal Services after seeing the dog with his head stuck in a plastic jar.
Two animal control workers were able to catch the dog and remove the plastic container from his head. It's not clear how long the jug had been on his head or how it got there in the first place, but officials said he was walking around in temperatures that reached 105 degrees.
The dog was examined at an animal hospital and appears healthy, officials said.
Animal control workers are reminding people not to litter because items such as plastic jars are curiosity magnets for critters.
"Not only is littering terrible for the environment, but our pets and wildlife get curious and sometimes that curiosity can lead to serious injuries, or even death, all because of the trash people discard," said Riverside County Animal Services Commander Rita Gutierrez, who once pulled a child's toy teapot off a skunk's head.