You might be all set for cooler weather, but is your home? These simple tips from AccuWeather will help get your household autumn-ready:
- Clean out your gutters before winter. If they don't drain properly, a buildup of snow and ice could lead to costly repairs.
- Fertilize your lawn so it has a strong base for spring. Your lawn will be fresh and thriving once all the snow melts away.
- Drain gas from your lawnmower after the last use of the season. You don't want any harmful buildup in the tank, so be sure to store your equipment in a cool, dry place for winter.
- Check your furnace system before winter comes. Clear your vents and filters or have a professional take a look at them.
- Disconnect hoses, shut off the outdoor water supply and let outdoor water systems drain so that freezing temperatures won't burst your pipes.
- Keep your winter tools ready. If you need new ones, don't wait until the first blizzard, when they could have already sold out.