Devon Lofton, 7, mourned after accidental shooting death in Englewood

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Loved ones gathered Monday night to remember a 7-year-old boy who police say was killed when he accidentally shot himself in his home in Chicago's Englewood neighborhood.
EMBED More News Videos

A 7-year-old boy is dead after he accidentally shot himself in his home in Chicago's Englewood neighborhood, police said.

Devon Lofton attended D.S. Wentworth Elementary School. He was in the first grade. He lived with his mother, grandmother and four siblings in the 6700-block of South Aberdeen Street.

"We loved him. He just graduated from kindergarten last year and he was a happy little boy," said Claudia Harris, a neighbor.

"Just having fun on his bike. The last time I see him we was both just walking and talking. Just laughing. Last thing he said, 'I see you later,'" said Bernard Warfield, another neighbor.

Devon, whose smile was described was described as "contagious" by his family, was mourned Monday night in front of the home where a bullet took his life.

"He'll be missed. This is a deep tragedy for my family. Just keep us in your prayers," cousin Sharona Moten said.

Police said Devon suffered a gunshot wound to the head around 3:50 p.m. Sunday. He was rushed to Comer Children's Hospital. Devon was pronounced dead at 4:36 p.m., the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office said.

Police believe Devon's 10-year-old brother brought the gun into the house. Police said they are still investigating how the 10-year-old came to possess the weapon.

At Monday night's gathering, relatives declined to offer details about the case. Devon's grandmother was reportedly home at the time of the shooting.

"This could have been anyone of these little kids out here, so this is just a message, just a learning lesson. But support this family, and stay with this family," community activist Andrew Holmes said.

Alderman Toni Foulkes (16th Ward) said anyone with a child and a loaded weapon in their home must take precautions.

"If you going to have a gun in the house, they need to be secure. They need to be in lock boxes or little locks on the triggers, and away from children," Foulkes said.

Police are tracing the gun back to its owner, who could face charges.

Some parents arriving at Wentworth Elementary Monday had just learned about Devon's death. One parent said she's going to have a difficult conversation later with her daughter.

"That's kind of hard to explain because she's only 7. You know, at 7 you know a little bit, but you don't know the full extent of the situation," said parent Shonda Jones.

The 7-year-old may have mistaken the gun for a toy one. Police have interviewed other children who were inside during the shooting.

"I'm just praying for the little boy's family. I can't imagine what they're going through," Jones said.

"Even when my kids were growing up I didn't let them play with play guns or nothing like that. The video games or nothing like that," said Jerry Reynolds, a daycare van driver who drops children off at Wentworth.

Adding to the tragedy, there was a warning Monday night that some fraudulent fundraising websites have been set up in an attempt to cash in on Devon's death. The family made it clear they have not set up a GoFundMe page.
Copyright © 2021 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.