2 men accused of sex assault: One locked up, other could be released

EMBED </>More News Videos

I-Team: A tale of 2 attackers

A tale of two attackers played out in two different Cook County courtrooms on Wednesday.

One sex offender was ordered locked-up for 18 years and another accused rapist was given a way out of jail immediately if he could post bond.

Both men, Rodney Woolford and Marc Winner, have been the targets of recent I-Team investigations. Their cases are not connected, however both have touched nerves in their neighborhoods because of the level of depravity.

During a Wednesday court call at the Cook County Courthouse in Chicago, Winner was trying to get out on bond and Woolford was there for sentencing.

First, Woolford.

The 61-year old youth sports coach on the Northwest Side was sentenced to 18 years in prison for kidnapping and molesting a neighborhood teenage girl.

The victim, who was 13 at the time, was in court and called him a monster who threatened to kill her if she talked.

"It's hurt their family, friendships, our community because he ingratiated himself to everyone in our community and it was all by design," said Sharon Strong, a friend of the victim.

In 2014, the I-Team uncovered Woolford's lecherous past; a hidden history of sexually abusing young girls he managed to hide, masquerading as a good family man.

He also claimed to have been a two-time Olympic bobsledder, but even that appears to have been part of his cover. The International Olympic Committee had no record of him.

The second I-Team case involved Winner, a West Loop tanning salon owner.

He may bond out soon despite being called a serial rapist by prosecutors and facing charges that he attacked four women.

The last time Winner was on bond in April he clashed with the I-Team.

He's been in custody since then, held without bond as authorities say they interviewed nine possible victims.

"The only new facts that have come to light further demonstrate the defendant's danger to the community. The defendant is now charged in four sexual assaults," said Mikki Miller, a Cook County assistant state's attorney.

Over the strong objections of prosecutors on Wednesday, Judge Carol Howard reduced Winner's bond on the two latest charges, meaning he could be freed by posting $12,500, the required 10 percent.

"We look forward to trying these cases in the courtroom and not on the camera...and letting everybody know what really happened in these cases," said Winner's attorney Steven Weinberg

Winner has pleaded not guilty to all the charges. He already put up $50,000 in cash for the first bond on the first two charges. Wednesday night, he was trying to come up with the additional money to get out of jail.

The prospect of him getting out of jail has some of his alleged victims very concerned.
Related Topics:
newsrapebusinessI-TeamChicago - West LoopChicago - Little Village
(Copyright ©2016 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments

More I-Team

More News

Top Stories
Show More