Teen fatally shot after CPS basketball game at CSU

January 17, 2013 (CHICAGO)

Tyrone Lawson, 17, of the 11600 block of S. Peoria St., died of multiple gunshot wounds at Chicago State University and was pronounced dead at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn at 9:59 p.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.

The shooting happened near 95th and King Drive around 9:20 p.m., officials said.

Police arrested two people shortly after the shooting and recovered a weapon, authorities said.

The shooting happened after a basketball game between high school powerhouses Simeon and Morgan Park. Lawson was a senior at Morgan Park High School.

Grief counselors were on hand at Morgan Park Thursday to help students staff and teachers deal with the tragedy.

The university issued a statement saying it was "deeply saddened by the tragic shooting death." A university official said that no university students were injured in the shooting.

Chicago Public Schools routinely uses CSU facilities in an effort to provide a "neutral setting" for student athletic events, the statement said, adding that Wednesday's shooting was the first time anything like that has happened on the university's campus.

School officials say there was a significant security presence both inside and outside the gym. All fans were also searched.

"He asked if he could go to the game. I gave him the money to go to the game, and 9:30, my son was dead," said mom Pamela Wright.

Shortly after the game, there was an argument and a scuffle in the handshake line, which may have sparked the deadly shooting, but Lawson was not one of the players, only a spectator. His family said they believe he was not a target.

"We are not really grieving at this moment. it has not really hit us yet," said Wright.

"He was a big guy. He liked outside - fishing, camping and all of that -- that was him, loved the water," said Gregory Young, stepfather.

Chicago State University police are leading the investigation. The police chief would not say how many officers were on hand Thursday night.

"On behalf of the university, our sincere condolences to the family of the victim, and our condolences to the students and staff. Secondly, because this is an ongoing organization, I will not and cannot speak to any detail relative to this ongoing investigation," said Chief Ronnie White, CSU.

Lawson's family wants to know how many CSU officers were at the game.

"Arrests have been made and University officials are awaiting the outcome of a full investigation to learn details about the shooting incident," the statement said.

Meanwhile Lawson's family and friends are remembering him as a good person who looked forward to attending college and beginning an apprenticeship with ComEd.

The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2024 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.