CHICAGO (WLS) -- International Hummus Day is May 13, 2017 and it's the perfect time to dig in for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The popular Middle-Eastern chickpea spread has all sorts of variations. Chicago's very own Naf Naf Grill is celebrating the holiday with many different specials. You can try them for yourself at one of Naf Naf Grill's fourteen restaurants in Illinois, including four in downtown Chicago.
Co-CEO of Naf Naf Grill, Sahar Sander, visited the ABC 7 State Street Studios to give a taste of how they're celebrating International Hummus Day.
Chicken Shawarma Hummus Bowl
- Chicken Shawarma (4oz)
- Hummus (6oz)
- Chopped salad (diced cucumber, tomato, white cabbage, and cilantro) (3oz)
- Purple cabbage, shredded (2oz)
- Sumac onions (few slices)
- Middle eastern cucumber pickles (few slices)
Tahini - A smooth and nutty sauce made from toasted ground hulled sesame seeds (1oz)
S'Khug - A blend of jalapenos, red pepper, garlic, cumin and other seasonings (.5oz)
1. Prepare the chopped salad by combining all the ingredients for the salad in a medium mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, toss the shredded purple cabbage with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt to taste.
3. Assemble the shawarma bowls by placing heaping scoops of your favorite hummus in the bottom of a two serving bowls.
4. Top with sliced shawarma chicken, chopped salad, cabbage, onions, and pickles, and drizzle with choice of sauce.
5. Serve immediately.
Name of dish: Hummus
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups canned chickpeas
- 1/2 cup tahini
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
1. Put ingredients except parsley in a food processor and process
2. Add the chickpea liquid or water as needed to produce a smooth puree.
3. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.
4. Garnish with parsley and olive oil null
More TOP STORIES News