Gary nightclub temporarily shut down by city after shooting leaves 2 dead, 4 wounded, mayor says

A 25-year-old man was killed on the same block 5 years ago, when the establishment was under a different name

ByCate Cauguiran and ABC7 Chicago Digital Team WLS logo
Monday, June 13, 2022
Gary nightclub temporarily shut down by city after shooting leaves 2 dead, 4 wounded, mayor says
EMBED <>More Videos

A woman describes the chaos during a Gary nightclub shooting that left 2 dead and 4 others injured.

GARY, Ind. (WLS) -- The two people killed in an Indiana nightclub shooting early Sunday have been identified. Four others were also wounded, according to police.

This isn't the first shooting there and tonight there are calls to shut the club down for good.

In a statement Sunday night, the mayor said, in addition to praying for those lost, the city is taking action temporarily closing the club.

This comes after hearing from a woman who captured video as she tried to escape during the gunfire.

While we do not see people being shot, ABC7 warns that the video is graphic.

Investigators have yet to release if they know what started this shooting.

Gary police officers were dispatched to the 1700 block of Grant Street just before 2 a.m. for reports of shots fired at Playo's Nightclub.

When they arrived, officers found an unresponsive 34-year-old man near the entryway suffering from apparent gunshot wounds. Then, once inside, they also discovered an unresponsive 26-year-old woman.

Both victims were transported to Methodist Hospital Northlake, where they were later pronounced dead, police said.

SEE ALSO | Drive-by shooting: Man shot and killed in Auburn Gresham ID'd, 4 others injured, authorities say

Jah'Nice Quinn, 26, of Merrillville, Indiana and Jonte Dorsey, 34, of Joliet have been identified by the Lake County (IN) Coroner's Office.

Cambri Shavon's phone was recording as she tried to leave the nightclub as gunshots went off all around her.

"My biggest concern was just making it out. Not getting shot," she said. "I tried to grab my things and run to safety as quick as possible."

Shavon said she was there with some friends to support another friend who was performing.

"In the middle of them transitioning there was a crowd that just started screaming and then you heard shot, so we start trying to take cover," Shavon recalled.

Shavon said she ran back to her car to find not just a bullet hole, but a bullet lodged in the wheel well.

"I noticed there was a bullet hole in the passenger side of the vehicle I was driving. And I'm just, I'm just grateful. I'm just thankful," she said.

As she fought her way out to escape, neighbors who lived nearby describe what they heard and saw.

"Shots. Just ringing, just back-to-back just ringing," said one person who wanted to remain anonymous. She did not want to show her face on camera but described the scene as pure chaos.

"Now, somebody's mother got to bury her daughter and a son, and it's so hard," she said.

Four additional people were shot, including one reported in critical condition, and went to several area hospitals, police said. The other three shooting victims appeared to have non-life-threatening injuries.

Due to the number of injured people and large crowd to evacuate, additional agencies responded.

As of right now, no suspects are in custody for today's shooting.

The block is the same one where five years ago, Gary police said a 25-year-old man was killed and four others were hurt in a shooting. The establishment was under a different name at the time.

The Metro Homicide Unit is investigating and anyone with information on this incident is encouraged to call 219-755-3855 or the Crime Tip Line at 866-CRIME-GP.

Gary mayor's statement on nightclub shooting:

"First, on behalf of the City of Gary, we are praying for the families and friends of the two people who lost their lives at Playo's nightclub on Saturday night. I cannot imagine the pain you're feeling, and I truly wish I could offer words to comfort you. We also send prayers for full healing for those who were injured.

Next, it is well beyond time our national leaders pass common sense, real legislation that curbs easy access to firearms.

Here, in Gary, we are taking steps to make our community safer and to hold businesses accountable for their actions. Today, I signed a letter ordering the temporary closure of Playo's. We will thoroughly investigate the Saturday night incident and determine our next steps.

Lastly, we're identifying the numbers of calls that go to the Gary Police Department from a number of businesses. If their operations are jeopardizing our communities, we will hold them accountable, too.

We will do what it takes to protect our community."