CTU-backed candidate joins race for Chicago Board of Education president, drawing some criticism

Sarah Schulte  Image
Thursday, May 21, 2026 11:49PM
CTU-backed candidate joins race for Chicago school board president

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Voters will elect Chicago's school board this November.

Five candidates are now in the race for president, but some are questioning whether the Chicago Teachers Union should be throwing it's weight behind any one candidate.

CTU's political director Hilario Dominguez is the fifth candidate to join the historic race. Critics argue Chicago Public Schools need an independent board president, not one aligned with CTU.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

The CTU is backing its own candidate for Chicago Board of Education president.

The son of a housekeeper and truck driver, Dominguez grew up in Pilsen, attending Chicago Public Schools. The 33-year-old man is a former special education teacher, who currently serves as the political director for Chicago Teachers Union.

"Here's what I know; Chicago families want... somebody that doesn't just look at a spreadsheet but knows what it feels like to be a student in a classroom," Dominguez said.

However, looking at spreadsheets will be a big part of his job if Dominguez is elected school board president. The board is responsible for a $10 billion budget. Dominguez says he will fight for the union's agenda, including adamant opposition to any school closures, despite big deficits and shrinking enrollment.

The district is facing an almost $1 billion deficit.

"I think we need to fund our schools first before we start talking about what else we need to do," Dominguez said.

Critics argue it will be a conflict of interest to have a CTU-backed school board president negotiate teachers contracts.

"We need people who will stand up and be independent and not be beholden to someone that ultimately they worked for the past decade," 36th Ward Ald. Gilbert Villegas said.

Dominguez's competition includes two current elected board members Jessica Biggs and Jennifer Custer, former appointed board vice president Sendhil Revuluri and attorney Victor Henderson, a charter school board member.

The parent group Kids First Chicago is concerned the race may cost $5-10 million.

"We are certainly concerned that, you know, whoever gets in that role is going to be beholden to those who helped put them into that seat," said Hal Woods with Kids First Chicago.

Before the money starts to pour in, the race is already getting politically ugly. Last week, CTU President Stacy Davis Gates circulated a letter to the union's house of delegates addressed to Democratic donor Michael Sacks to stay out of the school board races. Sacks wrote a scathing letter back, saying Davis Gates wants it both ways. Thursday, CTU is voting to raise teachers dues to help pay for political campaigns. Sacks called Dominguez unqualified.

"As a brown man growing up at Chicago Public Schools, I'm used to being told by others that I'm not qualified," Dominguez said.

While his four competitors handed their filing petitions on Monday, Dominguez will officially kick off his campaign on Tuesday when he will drop his off, the last day allowed.

Copyright © 2026 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.