Chicago man pleads guilty to 2024 sex assault in which woman attacked in NW Side gangway: court docs

ByABC7 Chicago Digital Team WLS logo
Thursday, August 20, 2026 2:48PM
Man charged in NW Side sexual assault: CPD
Chicago police said David Vega, 32, has been charged in a Belmont Central sexual assault in the 2900-block of North Mango Avenue on May 28.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A Chicago man pleaded guilty Wednesday to aggravated criminal sexual assault in an attack on Chicago's Northwest Side in 2024, according to court documents.

David Vega was sentenced to 14 years in prison Wednesday. The sentence includes lifetime sex offender registration, court documents show.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

Police previously released a video and photos of Vega after the incident.

Police said the crime happened on May 28, 2024 in the Belmont Central neighborhood's 2900-block of North Mango Avenue.

The man picked a woman up and forced her into the gangway of a home, police said. He told her he would kill her if she continued to yell.

Police said the man took the victim's pants off, ripped her undergarment and tried to sexually assault her.

Surveillance video shows the suspect jumping over a fence before he ran away down the alleyway behind homes.

INTERACTIVE SAFETY TRACKER Track crime and safety in your neighborhood

Copyright © 2026 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.