Sea snail in knee: Boy has new pet after egg hatches inside him

August 19, 2013 (ALISO VIEJA, Ca.)

Four-year-old Paul Franklin fell and scraped his knee at the beach. His parents didn't think much of it, until a few weeks later when it started to swell.

Doctors put Paul on antibiotics, thinking the cut was infected. However, when Paul's parents noticed something black inside, his mother, Rachel tried to drain the wound - what came out wasn't what she was expecting.

"It looked like a rock, but I looked down, and it was a sea snail," said Rachel.

Paul's parents think the snail egg got into his knee when he fell, and stayed there until it hatched.

Paul says it's crazy, but now he has a new pet for his aquarium.

Copyright © 2022 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.