9 hospitalized after high levels of carbon monoxide found on West Side

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Nine people were hospitalized Friday after high carbon monoxide levels were found in a residence in the Austin neighborhood Thursday morning, the Chicago Fire Department said.

The victims included a woman in her 80s and a child. All were in good condition late Friday.

Authorities had initially been called to the home in the 600 block of North Sawyer for a report of a person who fell.

When paramedics walked in, their body meters went off, indicating dangers levels of carbon monoxide.

The incident required a Level 1 Hazmat response.

The family said the house had carbon monoxide detectors, but they were not working.

Investigators believe that the leak may have come from the furnace, but they are still investigating.

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. The feeling is often compared to those of the flu.
Copyright © 2022 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.