Benjamin Carroll, Senior Horticulturist at the Chicago Botanic Garden, joined us live from the Garden during our ABC 7 Eyewitness News Saturday Morning to give us tips.
- Remove spent blooms
- Keep cool but not cold
- Maintain consistent soil moisture
- Stake taller items
- Provide good protection from cold as you transport orchids from outside to inside.
- Choose a plant that has some closed buds - that means more flowers for later.
- Place a pot on a saucer of pebbles with water to promote humidity.
- Have a spray bottle handy, so you can spray the stem, flower and leaves, occasionally.
Orchid Show at the Garden
Opens February 14t, 2014
Daily through January 5, 2014
Open 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. (with exceptions)
Adults: members/nonmembers: $10/$12
Seniors 62+: members/nonmembers: $8/$10
Children 3 to 12: members/nonmembers $8/$10
Children 2 and under are free.