Wheelchair battery may have caused fatal Ashburn house fire, officials say

WLS logo
Saturday, May 16, 2015
house fire
Chicago firefighters handed out smoke detectors in the city's Ashburn neighborhood Wednesday, a day after a 93-year-old man died after a fire in his home.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Investigators now say a battery may be to blame for a deadly fire earlier this week in Chicago's Southwest Side.

Walter Haton, 93, died in the fire Tuesday afternoon. Investigators now believe the fire started with the charging of a lithium battery used to power an electric wheelchair.

Chicago fire is now working with engineers for the insurance company.