Man, dog electrocuted by stray fence wire in Old Town

WLS logo
Wednesday, February 17, 2016

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A dog owner is warning others after he was shocked while trying to save his dog from electrocution.

Brian Malone says he was out with his 6-year-old dog Ladainian in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood when he touched a fence that was electrified.

He says a stray wire was also shooting current into a nearby water puddle. And it wasn't until he got some burns on his legs checked out a day later that he realized he had been shocked as well.

"I'm guessing the burns on the leg were from standing in that water that was touching that rod, that metal area," Malone said.

Malone says other dog owners should stay away from puddles that appear to be touching anything metal.

The city says it is investigating what happened. The property owner says they are cooperating in that investigation.