Man critically wounded in South Shore shootout with officers, Chicago police say

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A man was critically wounded after a shootout with Chicago police in the South Shore neighborhood Tuesday night, police said.

Flamingo Jones' family said he was shot by mistake, and now they want answers from the Chicago Police Department.

"I need some help. I need some answers. I need to know what happened to my son," said Danetta Bush, Jones' mother. "I need to know why the police put four bullets in my son."

The shooting occurred at about 7:37 p.m. in the 7400-block of South Bennett Avenue. Police said they saw an armed man walking in the area with a gun. When they confronted him, shots were fired.

During the exchange of gunfire, police said Jones, 38, was struck in his side and his foot.

"He walked out the house and he was shot 15 seconds later. It doesn't make sense," said Jennifer Evans, a family member.

Jones was left in critical condition. As of Wednesday, Jones is in the hospital recovering. Two officers were hospitalized in good condition.

"What happened? He shouldn't have been shot when he walked out of the house on his way to see his daughter. It's not adding up," said Jennifer Evans, Jones' sister.

CPD have not yet said who fired the first gun shots, but neighbors said they heard dozens of shots.

"We heard a barrage of shots so we stayed away from the window," a witness said.

"At this time we believe there were four or five officers involved in the incident," CPD Sgt. Rocco Alioto said.

Officers said they found a weapon at the scene. Police believe Jones was carrying it at the time of the shooting.

Jones' family said they've been told a different story about what happened. The family said neighbors and witnesses told them that police were pursuing someone in a car when the driver parked in front of an apartment building just as Jones happened to be coming out of the building.

Relatives say Jones was wounded when there was an exchange of gunfire between the person running out of the car and police.

"He sent a message that he loves me. I'm not getting any answers," Bush said.

According to court records, Jones has a lengthy criminal history. He is currently on parole for an illegal weapons charge.

Despite his past, family members said Jones has turned his life around and didn't have a gun.

"My brother has a good heart and has been working two jobs to support his family," Evans said. "His life has completely changed."

Officers involved in the shooting will be on administrative duties for the next 30 days.

The Chicago Office of Police Accountability is investigating.
Copyright © 2019 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.