Dad gets into shootout with group trying to steal cars while 5 daughters sleep inside Winnetka home

Suspects broke into Sheridan Road house to steal keys before trying to take Range Rover, Maserati, homeowner says

ByABC7 Chicago Digital Team and Stephanie Wade WLS logo
Tuesday, May 28, 2024
Dad exchanges fire with group trying to steal cars from Winnetka home
A shooting in Winnetka happened when a homeowner found suspects trying to steal his Range Rover and Maserati in the 400-block of Sheridan Road.

WINNETKA, Ill. (WLS) -- Nearby residents said they mistook the gunshots for fireworks early on Memorial Day.

The homeowner who fired his gun said he did what had to be done, in his own words. Although he didn't want to speak on camera late Monday afternoon, he shared haunting details of exactly what happened.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

Shortly before 5 a.m., a man woke up to hearing sounds of his car starting outside.

He ran out to find three thieves trying to steal two of his cars, a Range Rover and a Maserati.

He said he yelled to the thieves to stop, threatening to shoot, and that's when one of the suspects began firing at him from the street.

The homeowner said he took cover behind a tree and returned fire. Dozens of shell casings riddled the street and sidewalk.

Winnetka police blocked off the area near Willow and Sheridan for several hours while investigators collected evidence from the shootout.

The homeowner said the thieves were able to break into his home through the front office before stealing the keys from the garage. It all happened while his five daughters were asleep inside.

"I was surprised that somebody would fire a gun, and it does make me a little bit concerned," Tim Connell, who lives nearby, said.

The homeowner and neighbors alike are just thankful that nobody was hurt.

"Definitely not something I would want to walk into or be anywhere near. But I never would expect it. This is very unexpected," Connell said. "I would probably just let them take the car and worry about it later."

Winnetka police called this an isolated event, and the Memorial Day Parade proceeded as scheduled, just hours later, about 1 mile away. Authorities are still searching for the suspects.