Image source: Sheri Silver|Babble
What tastes and aromas do you associate with fall? For me it's a fire in the fireplace, an apple pie in the oven, and that intoxicating mix of pumpkin pie spice. While the ubiquitous pumpkin spice latte comes immediately to mind, there are so many other treats to be made with this versatile spice.
Like this colorful, festive, and utterly addictive puppy chow. I went full on fall here with multi-colored cereal, candy corn, seasonal M&M's, and of course pumpkin pie spice. This fun and easy recipe is a perfect weekend activity for you and your family, and makes a great bring-along snack for all of your fall outings!
Image source: Sheri Silver
PUMPKIN SPICE PUPPY CHOW
Makes: 14 cups
- 12 cups Chex cereal, divided
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (each) orange, yellow, and white candy melts
- 3/4 cup almond butter, divided
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 cup M&M's
- 1 cup candy corn
1. Place 4 cups of cereal in a large bowl. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment or wax paper. Place 1 cup confectioners' sugar in each of 3-gallon zip-top bags.
2. Melt the orange candy melts, 1/4 cup almond butter, and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice in the top half of a double boiler set over barely simmering water. Stir until smooth and evenly incorporated and pour the mixture over the cereal. Work quickly and gently to fully coat all of the cereal and transfer to one of your bags of confectioners' sugar. Seal the bag and shake until all of the cereal is coated. Pour onto one of your prepared baking sheets and set aside. Rinse and dry both bowls.
3. Repeat these steps with the yellow and white candy melts; let the cereal cool completely on the baking sheets.
4. Pour all of the cereal into a large bowl and add the M&M's and candy corn - stir to combine and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
More from Babble:
The Best Wines to Pair with Your Leftover Halloween Candy
Pumpkin Energy Balls So Easy, They Almost Make Themselves
Use Leftover Halloween Butterfingers for These Tasty Bars