STREAMWOOD, Ill. (WLS) -- Fire officials said one person was injured in an explosion and fire at a townhouse in Streamwood Monday afternoon.
Firefighters responded to the home on Shagbark Lane around 4 p.m. When crews arrived, they found windows blown out and a fire in the basement.
A heating and air conditioning technician had been working on one unit of the three-unit townhouse, and sustained non-life threatening injuries, the Streamwood Fire Department said.
Fire officials said their investigation found the HVAC contractor was outside the building, cutting a hole in the wall, when he hit a natural gas pipe causing a leak and then the explosion. The contractor was hit by flying glass and taken to St. Alexius Hospital where he was treated and released.
The explosion was ruled accidental.
More TOP STORIES News