Chicago-area man worries about brother in Haiti

January 22, 2010 8:29:48 PM PST
The mayor of Port-Au-Prince should be presiding over that city during this crisis. But his brother, who lives in south suburban Flossmoor, hasn't heard from him and is very concerned.The first indication that Jean-Wilson Muscadin received that his brother was alive came two days after the quake when the mayor was quoted in an Associated Press article. But six days later, a Washington Post reporter who spent time at what's left of Port-Au-Prince City Hall quoted other city leaders saying that only the mayor's wife had been found. The confusion has left relatives here hoping for the best.

"He's a tough guy. Mentally, he's a tough guy. He's trying his best but you know," said Dr. Muscadin.

Dr. Jean-Wilson Muscadin says his brother is strong. After all, you don't get to be Mayor of the Haitian capital without brains and brawn.

The last 10 days have tested even the toughest souls.

"That has to be tough, it has to be a tough situation to be in. You are the mayor. Two-hundred and fifty thousand dead. Every part of the city is completely destroyed. A tough situation to be in," said Dr. Muscadin.

Dr. Muscadin, a pediatrician at Chicago's St. Bernard Hospital, has been working with his wife and other Haitian-Americans to send money and supplies. They are heartened to see images like of Haiti's youngest and most vulnerable arriving in Miami and Chicago to open arms.

Friday afternoon at Midway Airport, families who have been waiting years to adopt were being re-united with children they met as orphans in Haiti.

"It is like a miracle," said Elaine Morgan, adoptive mother.

Morgan began the adoption process with Djoude two and a half years ago.

"She's my child. She's my daughter. It's great to have her in my hands rather than sitting in Haiti on the brink of disaster," said Morgan.

"Really until they touched down in Ft. Lauderdale last night, it was not a sure thing. We've been nervous but hopeful," said Lisa Gregg, adoptive mother.

Among the evacuees to arrive at O'HareThursday night was 13-year-old Vladimir Fontaine.

"I ran, and my papa called my name and told me to jump," Vladimir said in French.

He remembers losing his sister as his house fell around him. It's a memory that brings all of the horror right back to their mother.

Vladimir is at Stroger Hospital where doctors have set a broken arm and elbow. He's scheduled to have surgery to fix his broken jaw on Monday.