8 slices smoky, thick bacon
1 lb. jumbo lump crabmeat
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt-free Creole seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. Tabasco
1/4 cup bottled chili sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbs. Creole mustard
1 Tbs. tarragon vinegar
1. Slice the bacon into squares and fry till crisp. Drain very well and set aside.
2. Divide crabmeat into six small, shallow au gratin dishes. Sprinkle with lemon juice, and heat in 350-degree oven for five minutes.
3. While waiting for crabmeat to warm, blend all the sauce ingredients.
4. When the crabmeat is hot, top each baking dish with an equal portion of crumbled bacon. Pour the sauce right on top, just enough to cover.
5. Turn the oven on broil and place the au gratin dishes three inches from the heat for about a minute--until the sauce begins to bubble. Serve immediately with a warning that the dish is mouth-searingly hot!
Serves eight appetizers or four entrees.