Maggie Daley hospitalized with leg pain

April 18, 2011 4:31:44 AM PDT
Chicago first lady Maggie Daley will remain hospitalized for several days, according to her doctor at Northwestern Hospital.

According to a spokesperson for her husband, Mayor Richard Daley, Mrs. Daley was transported to the hospital at about 5 a.m. Saturday after she complained about discomfort in her right leg.

It's the same leg fitted about a year ago with a titanium rod following radiation treatment for a malignant bone tumor. Mrs. Daley was hospitalized in Washington in October for pain in the same leg.

On Sunday morning after a Palm Sunday Mass, Cardinal Francis George sent his prayers to Mrs. Daley.

"She's given us all an example of how to live with a chronic illness with courage and style so I'll certainly keep her in my prayers," he said.

According to her physician Dr. Steve Rosen, Mrs. Daley's discomfort is orthopedic and not directly related to her cancer. Maggie Daley has been battling metastatic breast cancer since 2002, and the cancer spread to her bones.

The first lady's doctor says he will not make any public statements regarding her condition until her family approves it.

In response to Mrs. Daley's hospitalization, Mayor Daley cancelled all of his Saturday events, including a Humboldt Park tree planting in his honor, where admirers turned their attention from the event to a moment of prayer for Mrs. Daley.

"Our prayers are with Maggie, and we would love for them to come back on another day," said a woman at the tree planting event.

Mrs. Daley was admitted to the hospital shortly after she and the retiring mayor attended a fundraiser Friday night at the Art Institute of Chicago, along with Mayor-elect Rahm Emanuel and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. The Daleys received an award from the Woman's Board of the Art Institute for their commitment to the arts.

And last week, Mrs. Daley presented an award to the Chicago Marathon's top fundraiser, a father whose son has leukemia.

"My mission over the years has been dedicated to helping the children of our city," she said at the awards presentation.

Mrs. Daley is reportedly resting comfortably and in good spirits while waiting for test results. She will reportedly remain hospitalized for a few days. A spokesman for Mayor Daley said he has been comforting his wife at the hospital.