Grandson questioned after policewoman found dead

November 4, 2011 (CHICAGO)

Her body was found Friday at her home in the 8800-block of S. Wallace.

Her family says Scott was so attached to her grandchildren, that when their mother was unable to care for them several years ago, she fought a lengthy court battle to adopt them. Now, one of those grandchildren is being questioned in connection with her death.

Relatives say Scott built a second-story addition onto her home several years ago so her grandchildren would have more room. Family and friends remember a loving grandmother who took custody of the kids and took good care of them.

"Hester would give you anything, but she was not going to be taken advantage of. She put everything she had into her grandchildren," said brother Marvin Scott.

"The kids never wanted for nothing, you know what I'm saying. Like I say, if you seen her house, she had an addition built on to her house just for the kids," said neighbor Andre Davis.

Hester Scott lived in the home for two decades. She was a 25-year Chicago Police veteran. Officers responding to a call of an open front door went into the home Friday morning and found her body. She had apparently been beaten to death.

"She is a good person, a nice lady in the neighborhood, a very special person," said neighbor Martha Spence, who said she was "very nice" in taking care of the kids.

A source told ABC 7 that Scott was recently put on desk duty at the department after her 15-year-old grandson accused her of pointing a gun at him. The source added that she was apparently in the process of trying to get him removed from her home.

"He was a nice child to me, he used to come to my house, go to the candy store, I used to go with him, all that," said neighbor Aaliyah Russell. "That's sad to me."

Scott's relatives noted the irony that despite her dangerous job as a police officer, she was killed in her own home.

"She survived death and life every day on the streets of Chicago," said Marvin Scott.

Police were questioning the 15-year-old grandson Friday night at Area Two police headquarters. They have filed no charges. They were still on the scene at the home Friday night looking for evidence.

Copyright © 2022 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.