NY couple says electric company sending shocks through home

September 11, 2012 (POUND RIDGE, N.Y.)

"Somebody is going to die here. That's how bad it is," said Millie Mendelson, Pound Ridge homeowner.

They say voltage leaking from a nearby NYSEG substation randomly jolts them inside their home of 25 years and around their six-acre property.

"If I try to make a repair or touch a pipe in the house or touch water, there are times when I just get this electrical shock and I just recoil," Millie Mendelson said.

So the 65-year-old wears rubber gloves when she cleans the dishes.

Her 76-year-old spouse wears rubber soled shoes outside.

They stopped using their pool years ago.

Dr. Mendelson, a psychiatrist, abandoned his private practice when the electrical shocks forced him out of his three-room cottage, which served as his office.

Last week, the couple filed a lawsuit against the power company.

"Just take this property, we'll give it to them, and they can electrocute it if they want, and just buy our other property that we are looking at and pay for that," said Hal Mendelson.

Because of the lawsuit, NYSEG had no comment other than to say, "The safety of our customers and employees is of paramount importance to us, and we comply with the New York State Public Service Commission's rigorous stray voltage testing and repair requirements."

Hal Mendelson says years ago the company installed voltage blockers, which worked for a while, but not anymore.

"They have blockers that block 30 volts of electricity from going on to our property that fail, and they say its false alarms. And, they have never taken any responsibility for admitting that there is stray voltage," Hal Mendelson said.

Copyright © 2023 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.