Video shows fatal attack on Arthur Hearn, 88; Suspects seen waving down police in Chatham

WLS logo
Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Suspect knocks down man, flags police
Video shows 88-year-old Arthur Hearn being knocked down by a suspect, who then flagged down police in the Chatham neighborhood.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Arthur Hearn, 88, died after he was knocked to the ground by a young man who then flagged down Chicago police. Surveillance cameras in the Chatham neighborhood captured the attack.

Hearn was waiting for a CTA bus in the 8500-block of South Cottage Grove Avenue just before 5 a.m. Thursday when the man attacked him and went through his pockets. The offender and his young female accomplice fled the scene, but flagged down Chicago police, spoke with officers, and directed them to Hearn, who was lying on the sidewalk.

Hearn was pronounced dead at Horizon Hospice at 5:50 p.m. Sunday. According to the Cook County Medical Examiner's autopsy, Hearn died of head injuries from the fall. His death was ruled a homicide.

"Just know that you have taken away a mentor to the community, and how many lives that you have really destroyed and affected," a family member who did not wish to be identified said.

Hearn was a longtime barber at Farrell's Barbershop.

"He was a great man. I can think of countless times he's helped me out of situation that I may have been in, whether spiritually, mentally or financially or whatever the case may be. He was a wonderful person," Kelvin McGahen, coworker, said.

In 1996, Hearn was shot in the leg while saving a woman during a sexual assault near 64th and Cottage Grove. The former boxer fought back on Thursday morning, too, his family said.

"He was built like a horse. I mean, there was nothing frail about him. He took awesome care of himself inside and out," a relative said.

The great-grandfather leaves behind a large and loving family. The community, friends said, lost an icon.

"Everything good that I can say about anybody would be about Arthur Hearn," Farrell Wilson, barbershop owner, said.

Police are investigating. No one is in custody.