BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (WLS) -- A pyro-technician sustained burn injuries Sunday afternoon in suburban Bridgeview as workers prepared for the evening's fireworks display.
The Bridgeview July 3rd Celebration, which was scheduled for 9:20 p.m. at the Bridgeview Park District at 8100 South Beloit, has subsequently been canceled.
At about 1:15 p.m. Sunday, workers were prepping for the display when the fireworks inadvertently went off.
The male victim, who sustained burns to his arms and hands, was transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.
According to a village spokesman, "Investigators said an initial investigation suggests that the individual, a professionally trained firework installer, was inserting a baseball sized firework into a tube when friction caused a spark that ignited the firework."
The incident occurred in a "fireworks safe zone" created for the fireworks installation in the Bridgeview park at 8110 S. Ferdinand. The area was cordoned off from the public.
A typical 20- to 25-minute fireworks show cost about $12,000, according to the village.
Neighbor Jay Gibbons said it sounded like a sonic boom.
"The house shook. The ground shook," he said. "It kept going. It would be a little break and then boom, boom, boom."
Some residents thought the noise was part of the fireworks preparation.
Meantime, some community members were disappointed that the fireworks show was canceled.
"At least we have our family get together, there's not going to be fireworks tonight," said neighbor Eric Dulce.