The fire doubled in size Saturday, growing to more than 83,800 acres while putting residents and firefighters in harm's way.
A great-grandmother, two children and two men working to contain the blaze are among the dead. Another person was found after the fire consumed another home in Shasta County, Sheriff Tom Bosenko said in a Sunday news conference.
RELATED: Carr Fire near Redding grows to over 80,000 acres
Woman dies trying to save her great-grandchildren
The desperate search for 70-year-old Melody Bledsoe and her great-grandchildren, Emily and James Roberts, came to a devastating end Saturday when relatives confirmed their bodies had been found in the family's burned out home in Shasta County.
A GoFundMe page set up by the children's family said the three were last heard from Thursday as flames closed in on the neighborhood.
Family friend Jason Decker told CNN affiliate KGO that Bledsoe was found "draped over the children."
"That just shows that she did everything she could 'til the very end," Decker said.
Decker told KGO that 4-year-old Emily loved to play with other children in the area and "lit up the room."
Five-year-old James idolized his great-grandfather, Decker said, and wanted to wear suspenders and use a chainsaw just like him.
Ed Bledsoe was out buying supplies to help others threatened by the wildfire when flames engulfed his home, KGO reported.
The affiliate said a gas line burst in the neighborhood, leaving the family little time to escape.
Firefighter dies on front lines
Jeremy Stoke, a fire inspector with the Redding Fire Department, died Thursday night, the Redding firefighters union said.
"Jeremy died while battling the Carr Fire," the union said on Twitter. "We ask for your thoughts and prayers for his family and the RFD as we process this tragic loss."
Stoke joined the Redding Fire Department in 2004 as an engineer and worked his way up to inspector, the union said.
He was killed while assisting with evacuations in Redding.
Bulldozer operator was first fatality
An unidentified bulldozer operator, hired privately, was killed while battling the flames Thursday, Cal Fire said.
RELATED WILDFIRE STORIES & VIDEOS:
- MAPS: Wildfires burning across California
- PHOTOS: Massive Carr Fire tears through Shasta County
- VIDEO: Drive through Carr Fire near Redding reveals apocalyptic scenes
- VIDEO: Firefighters get brief rest in neighbor's yard during 'apocalyptic' Carr Fire in Shasta County
- VIDEO: New look at destruction from Carr Fire in Redding
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- PG&E may cut electricity during high fire danger, are you prepared?
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- These aircraft are on the front lines of the fight against California wildfires
- Wildfire masks: How to best protect yourself from smoke during a fire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- How to sign up for emergency alerts where you live
- Surviving a long-term power outage
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- DIY: How to make a pet carrier in case of emergency
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster