Teen charged in West Chatham shooting that killed 3, including another teen, Chicago police say

Shooting also seriously injured 16-year-old

Tre Ward Image
Friday, March 22, 2024
Teen charged in South Side shooting that killed 3
Chicago police announced charges in a triple homicide that killed a teen on South Vincennes Avenue in West Chatham last month.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Chicago police announced charges Thursday in connection with a triple homicide in West Chatham last month.

CPD Superintendent Larry Snelling and Kim Foxx said at a press conference Thursday morning that a 16-year-old boy was charged with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder as an adult in the incident.

Chicago police announced charges in a quadruple shooting from last month.

Three people were killed, including a 14-year-old boy, and a 16-year-old was seriously wounded in the shooting inside a home in the West Chatham neighborhood Feb. 25, Chicago police said.

Amere Deese, 14, was shot in the back inside the house in the 8000-block of South Vincennes Avenue.

The Cook County Medical Examiner's Office identified a 20-year-old man, who was also killed, as Ladeverett Ringgold.

A 36-year-old man was killed, as well.

Chief of Detectives Antoinette Ursitti said several others were in the home at the time of the shooting but were not injured.

The teen had been welcomed into the home as the acquaintance of a young man who was friends with the family who lived there just after 7:30 p.m., she said.

After an altercation, the 16-year-old retrieved a handgun with an extended magazine and demanded a rifle, prosecutors said.

Court documents state the suspect's brother grabbed a rifle from behind a TV, and the teen opened fire in a bedroom, shooting the four victims.

He left the scene with his brother and the rifle, and was caught on video that police recovered, which helped in identifying him.

He was arrested on Tuesday in Hazel Crest at a relative's home.

Family said the alleged shooter was close to the youngest victim.

The teen was identified at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse at 26th Street and California Avenue Thursday as Antonio Velasco, who police say was friends with his victims and best friend to the youngest one.

"It's very heartbreaking to realize that someone my grandson trusted as a brother decided to do this to him," said Cynthia Jones, Amere Deese's grandmother.

The alleged shooter became close with Deese after his mother died from an illness two years ago.

"I just don't understand what could've been so much in your heart that you decided you wanted to kill my grandson. This is the same child who shared food with you, shared clothes with you, shared a bed with you," Jones said.

Foxx also spoke on the incident Thursday.

"A tragedy unfolded among friends within what should've been the safe confines of a home," she said.

And Snelling said justice should be served.

"He has to be held accountable, period," he said.

The charges bring little closure, though.

"It won't bring my grandson back, but he won't be able to do this to another family," Jones said.

Velasco's private attorney would not comment on the case, and the teen is being held without bond.

Police said they are still searching for a second person of interest.

INTERACTIVE SAFETY TRACKER Track crime and safety in your neighborhood