CHICAGO (WLS) -- Fire crews are packing up the scene of an electrical vault fire that occurred at a University of Chicago faculty and staff dorm, officials said.
Crews extinguished a fire that originated from transformers in the basement of the building in the 5800-block of South Dorchester around 4 p.m. Monday, officials said. Residents of the building's 33 units were told to remain in their apartments as crews vented most of the smoke outside of the building, officials said.
As a result of the fire, 264 customers in the Hyde Park area are without power, ComEd officials said, though crews are at the scene to access damage.
"We deployed guys into the hallways and under the stairwells to reassure the occupants so that they know we're in the building," said Deputy Cmsr. John McNicholas, Chicago Fire Department. "We opened up the bulkheads at the top of the stairs and at the top of the elevator shafts to displace any smoke that was in there and then we brought in some portable fans."
Nine people, including firefighters, residents and a child, were hospitalized for smoke inhalation, officials said.