Police: Man in custody after 2 raped, including 1 juvenile, in Hammond, Ind.

WLS logo
Thursday, August 24, 2017
Police used surveillance video to track down the suspect.

HAMMOND, Ind. (WLS) -- A person of interest has been taken into custody after two people, including one juvenile, were raped within two weeks of each other in Hammond, Ind., police said.

The suspect's name and age have not been released, but police said charges are pending. Police used surveillance video to track down the suspect.

Police said the assaults occurred on July 26 around 12 p.m. in the 6700-block of Grand Avenue and Aug. 8 around 12 a.m., in the 7400-block of Arkansas Avenue. In both cases, police said the victims were out walking when they were approached by the suspect, forced into an alley and raped.

The first victim is a juvenile whose age and identity police are withholding. The second victim is 25, police said.

The 25-year-old's rape was partially captured on surveillance video. The victim can be seen walking across the street on the video. By the time she makes her way across, her attacker is there.

"The next thing I know, as soon as I hit the corner I just felt somebody snatch me up in a headlock," said the victim, whose identity is being protected.

The victim was on her way home from work.

"He dragged me to the alley. He asked me if I had money, he snatched my phone. I walked with him 'cause I couldn't turn around, I couldn't run, couldn't do nothing. He told me not to scream," she said.

Once in the alley, behind her neighborhood, the attack got worse.

"He pushed me down and started snatching my pants off, snatching his pants off," she said.

He had pressed an unidentified weapon against her, and threatened to beat her with a hammer.

"When I noticed it was going to get sexual, I said, 'Whatever you want, I'll give it to you.' I have stuff on my person, you can have it. That didn't stop him, he kept going," she said.

Eighteen minutes later he let her go. Surveillance cameras show her walking away, alone.

"We want to release this information now to ease the minds of our citizens that this violent suspect has been removed from our streets," said Hammond Indiana Police Chief John Doughty.

A press conference is scheduled for Monday morning.

Related Topics